Useful Information for Your Trip
Useful Information for Your Trip to Mackinac Island
Driving from the Lower Peninsula to Mackinaw City: Take US 31 or US 23 to I-75 North or I-75 North to Mackinaw City (Exits 337, 338 or 339). Follow the signs to the Mackinac Island Ferry Docks.
Driving from the Upper Peninsula to St. Ignace: Take US 2 East or I-75 South to St. Ignace. Take the State Street exit and follow the signs to the Mackinac Island Ferry Docks.
Two ferry lines operate out of Mackinaw City and St. Ignace: Star Line Ferry (1-800-638-9892, www.mackinacferry.com) and Shepler’s Ferry (1-800-828-6157, www.sheplersferry.com). Ferry tickets will await you at will-call of the Star Line Ferry ticket office if they are included as part of an Inn at Stonecliffe room package or as a reservations add-on.
Once You Arrive
Upon your arrival to the island, an Inn at Stonecliffe dock porter will assist with luggage and transportation. Please instruct the ferry dock attendant to tag luggage for The Inn at Stonecliffe and be sure to retain all luggage claim checks. If it is necessary for you to ride a taxi to the Inn, please do not leave the ferry docks without your luggage.
Motor vehicles are not allowed on Mackinac Island. If you choose to ride a bicycle or walk to the Inn, please make sure you have made transportation arrangements for your luggage. Taxis and a shuttle are also available to transport you to The Inn at Stonecliffe.
The Stonecliffe Area Shuttle is owned and operated by the Mackinac Island Carriage Tour Company and makes stops at the head of the Star Line and Shepler’s ferry docks on Main Street.
- Seating on the shuttle is limited.
- The daily shuttle schedule is determined solely by the Carriage Tour Company and may vary based on the time of the year. Please call MICT at 906-847-3323 to determine times.
- Shuttle fares are payable to the shuttle driver in cash only. Fares are $7.50 per adult and $3.75 per child, one-way (Subject to change, please contact MICT for information, 906.847.3323).
- Luggage transportation is complimentary on the shuttle and does not need to be accompanied.
- Departing downtown, ridership is first-come, first-served. However, reservations are required to ride the shuttle from the hotel to downtown.
- Tagging luggage is important, just like it would be if you were to check your luggage on an airplane. At the mainland docks, please find a porter to help you tag your luggage with a Stonecliffe tag. Every piece should be tagged, even the little ones. Verify the tags are all attached before walking away.
- Stonecliffe is not responsible for lost or stolen luggage. If you have something valuable, we suggest you do not check it.
- For pick up at the hotel, shuttle reservations should be made through the front desk. Seating is limited and a taxi may need to be scheduled instead.
- If your arrival is after the last scheduled shuttle:
- Taxi – call 906-847-3323 to make a reservation, or look for the Stonecliffe dock porter for assistance.
- The Inn at Stonecliffe can transport your luggage after the last ferry has arrived. The ferry schedules vary throughout the season. During peak season, your luggage may not arrive until after midnight. It is recommended a taxi is used if this causes an inconvenience.
Horse-Drawn Taxi Service is provided by the Mackinac Island Carriage Tour Company 24 hours a day. Reservations can be made by calling the taxi company directly at (906) 847-3323.
- The taxi will not transport bicycles
- Luggage cannot be sent unaccompanied on a taxi. The taxi company may require a luggage cart to be attached to the taxi for an additional fee if your party has a large abundance of luggage.
- Taxi rates vary according to destination and point of departure.
- All taxi reservations must be made through the front desk or direct with the taxi company. “Hailing” or “flagging” a taxi is not allowed.
- For pick up at the hotel, taxi reservations should be made through the front desk.
Bicycles may either be brought across to the island by ferry or rented on the island. Please note the following if using personal bicycles on the island:
- Ferry companies charge a fee for transportation of bicycles.
- The taxi company and the Stonecliffe area shuttle will not transport bicycles. Your luggage can be transported on the Stonecliffe Area Shuttle (based upon schedule availability). Guests are responsible for the transportation of bicycles to The Inn at Stonecliffe.
- Bicycle locks are encouraged at all times and bikes should be stored in the bicycle racks provided by the Inn. Bicycles are not allowed to be parked in buildings or guestrooms. The Inn at Stonecliffe is not liable for any loss of possessions.
Important information about the hotel
- Cancellations/Reservation Changes: Please see our website for details on our policies.
- Effective May 1, 2010 and as mandated by Michigan state law, The Inn at Stonecliffe is a non-smoking property, including all guestrooms, outdoor balconies and public areas. A $250.00 room-recovery fee will be charged to guests who smoke in guestrooms, on balconies, or on patios to cover the costs of cleaning and restoring the room to a smoke-free condition. Similarly, a $250.00 cleaning-fee will also be assessed to guests who bring pets other than registered service animals in order to return the room to an allergen-free state
Check-in and Check Out
- Check-in time is 3:00pm. Requests for early arrivals can only be determined on arrival day. Inquiries as to the status of your guestroom are welcome on the morning of arrival. In the event a request cannot be accommodated, unaccompanied luggage may be sent to the hotel on the Stonecliffe Area Shuttle.
- Full payment of the guestroom folio is due upon check-in.
- Refunds will not be made in the event of late arrivals or early departures.
- Check out is 11am. Late checkout requests must be made on the morning of check out, and are not guaranteed.
The Inn at Stonecliffe is confident you will love your experience and will want to return. The Front Desk can be reached year-round at 906-847-3355. A Sales Manager is also available year-round at 906-847-3647, and provides complimentary event-planning services to schedule a wedding, social gathering, or corporate retreat.
Thank you for choosing The Inn at Stonecliffe!